Monday, November 19, 2012

Stuff That Shirts Are Made Of

Bamboo, in this case. Which is a great t-shirt fabric, btw. 


This was my first Cirque du Soleil shirt, bought in Vancouver at Quidam, I believe.

Attending a live Cirque performance is one of those experiences that can't really be explained to those who haven't been. It's visually spectacular, totally immersive for the senses and taps into the imagination with music, movement and feats of physical prowess. Although there are CDs and DVDs available with which the music and actions can be surveyed, the live performance adds another element that is not captured in any sort of contemporary media.

I've seen Cirque shows in Vancouver, London, Las Vegas, and (most recently) in Montreal this summer, where Lesley and I experimented with whether her toddler could be entranced enough to sit through an entire show. She definitely made friends with some of the performers before the show but seemed determined to join the show. There was a lot of chase and retrieval involved in that particular performance.


Cirque will be back in Vancouver with Amaluna (same show as we saw in Montreal) at the end of this month and, on a whim, I convinced Jeff's mom that she and Jeff's dad should come take a look "at the circus" with us.  Not sure she understands that Cirque shows and circuses are two entirely different things but I'm hoping they all enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. I saw "Quidam" in Vancouver and "O" in Las Vegas - and "Journey of Man" at the IMAX. You're right - there is nothing like a live performance. I had seen them on TV several times and was very impressed but wasn't sure that I could take a couple of hours of the music. But live - it's such an integral part of the beautiful choreograhy, costumes and actions that comes together brilliantly. And I loved the music in "Journey of Man" that I bought the CD and some of it is in my iTunes favourite list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to see "O" in Vegas!! "The Beatles' Love" was the only one I saw in Vegas and the majesty of that show was spoiled a bit by the long-legged man sitting behind me that kept crossing and re-crossing his legs throughout the show, kicking my seat everytime he did so.

      One day, I'll hit it big on the slots and then I'll be there, in the Tapis Rouge seats! :)

      Delete
  2. Bamboo! Some of my favourite t-shirts are made of bamboo. I wish it was more widely used for clothing. It's great in hot climates, doesn't wrinkle and feels so cozy!

    Cirque du Soleil is absolutely mesmerizing. I'm sure Jeff's parents will love it. I finally managed to see a show last year but these sorts of performances don't often make it all the way to little New Zealand. You are lucky indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which show did you get to see, Kat? I always point out that although there isn't necessarily a central narrative to the shows, you always leave feeling like you witnessed something monumental.

      And yeah, bamboo shirts are terrific. I think my Heart concert tee I posted a few weeks ago is bamboo too. I believe that there's an argument that bamboo is also a far more sustainable crop to grow and process than cotton or wool. Although perhaps not possum ;)

      Delete